Lavender shortbread recipe


Here's my very first attempt at something very traditional to UK, particularly Scotland, shortbread cookies. And the result? Well, I will try and put it in three best possible words that justifiably describe them:

Delectable!
Delicious!
Devine!

Shortbread cookies are such an easy recipe yet make a very luxurious snack if you ask me. It transforms a normal tea time to a high-tea affair, suddenly enhancing the atmosphere by 10 folds to an elite event... Okay, that's a stretch lol! But I sure appreciate a good dip with my cup of tea after lunch. Even the kitchen smells devine after the bake (unless you hate the smell of cookies and lavender of course!) 

This little recipe here is my own creation inspired by my trip to the lovely lavender farm at Banstead last week. And I must say, it was a success! Infact, it was such a hit that the cookies were over as soon as they were brought out (even though the idea sounded nutty to my housemate whilst I was preparing it)! Only 4 ingredients for the most amazingly appatizing yet super easy recipe for these darling British favourites, shortbread, but with a little twist of sweet and sensuous lavender... And boy does it add that irresistable oomph factor to the dish! Trust me, you don't need a lot for this or it may get a little overwhelming. Anyway, here's my recipe for these highly delectably buttery biscuits...

Ingredients:

55g Castor sugar
180g Plain flour
125g Butter (unsalted or slightly salted)
Lavender florets from two stems

Process:

  1. Chop up the lavenders and set aside in a bowl with sugar, meanwhile pre-heat oven at 180 degree celcius.
  2. Melt the butter in a cup in a microwave for 20-30 seconds, then add it to the bowl of sugar and lavenders, and whisk till well combined while the butter cools.
  3. Pour the flour slowly slowly whilst whisking the mixture continuosly to keep a good consistency. Once the dough is of smooth consistency, put it in the fridge for 20 minutes (you can also do this after step 4). 
  4. Now, roll it out with a rolling pin on a well floured surface to a thickness of 1 cm, and cut up into any shape you like. I used my shot glass to cut out 18 circles of cookies. For added effect, I used a fork pierce little holes around each cookie.
  5. Lay them on a butter paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden-brown. Once done, let cool for 5 minutes. 
  
All done... Now serve it up warm and see how quickly they disappear ;) <3 <3 <3


Comments