"Kaju katli" - Cashew sweets


Okay, I love sweets… Seriously, they are not safe around me EVER, especially yummy indian cashew sweets. I don't care they are too sweet for some, they are my weakness!!! I remember as a little girl asking daddy to bring boxes of kaju (cashew) barfi from sweetshops every week. Anyway, when I first found the recipe I was so happy I couldn't wait to make it, however, let me warn you, the recipe is no piece of cake… It's rather quick but tricky. Three things to keep in mind: 
1. The sugar syrup consistency,
2. The cashew flour consistency, and
3. The cashew and sugar syrup concoction.

You really need practice for it so, even if it doesn't come out the way you wanted it, don't worry, try again next time. So, here's what you'd need

Ingredients:



1. 1 Cup cashew powder
2. 1/4th cup water
3. 1/2 cup sugar
4. 1 tablespoon oil or ghee (optional)

Procedure:


1. First of all, make the cashew flour. Make sure cashews are dry and the flour is not pasty or oily.

2. Now, cooking time! Take a non-stick saucepan and add the sugar and water to it. Simmer in low heat until the sugar dissolves completely in the water.


3. Now, here is the tricky part, the sugar need to be absolutely dissolved and the syrup is thickening. Make sure NOT to caramelise.

4. Next add the cashew flour and continuously stir at low heat. It takes about 7-11 minutes depending on the amount ingredients and type of pan used. It took me 10 minutes to cook it.


5. Make sure the mixer is consistent and starts to look like a soft dough. Once it does look like a gooey dough take it off of the pan and transfer it to a grease paper.

6. Next steps need to be done while it's still warm. First add some ghee or oil if you'd like, oil your own hands and knead the dough. Now, if you got the syrup or something else wrong, the dough will be sticky. If so, use some milk powder (I didn't have any so my dough remained softer than I wanted it to be). Knead till it is smooth.


7. Then roll the dough out, keeping it thin to about 5mm. Cool it till it hardens. Then cut it into diamond shaped pieces. Pardon me cause my dough was too soft and hence the uneven shape. 

 


Serve it with chopped or whole cashew nuts, edible silver foil or rose petals, and there you go! Yummy delicious cashew desserts at your disposal! 




Comments