Poppy brooch

Here is my first DIY for the Remembrance day...


My poppy brooch
You know how everyone is wearing the poppy brooches to honour the death of 100s of 1000s of soldiers from the commonwealth countries who fought and died in World War I. Every year in UK ever since 1921 people wear little poppy brooches made from card papers since a few weeks before the Remembrance Day on the 11th of November. It is most prominently held in UK and Canada. The tower of London in particular holds up a spectacular aggregated sculpture, or sea rather, of 888,246 crimson ceramic poppies that cover the grounds around the tower for everyone to behold. This installation is called the "blood swept lands and sea of red" and was designed by artist Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper.

Truly spectacular
I love flowers of all kinds and have always liked the little card brooch pins that are sold for donations by The Royal British Legion that goes for the support of all, former and current, British military personnels. Other types of poppies also worn are the white "peace" poppies and the purple poppies honouring the animals killed in the great War. 

Well, I thought why not make one just for the occasion that would last for a long time. Not that I won't donate but then I can keep it with me forever without it falling apart with time, or at least for a long time.

So there you, my own poppy brooch:


For this you'd need:

  1. Two three-lobed red artificial flower petals
  2. One artificial leaf
  3. Pair of scissors
  4. Industrial strength glue
  5. 6 black buttons

Alternatively, you can just use red silk fabric to make your own flower and black thread for the centres like here.

Procedure

Step 1: To start with, glue the two 3-lobed petals together at the centre with the all the petals in between each other.


Step 2: Now glue on the black buttons one by one at the centre, I used 6 buttons to form one closed concentric circle around the centre button like so:


I also used a black fabric pen (you can also use a sharpie or pen) to add some tiny details around the centre.


Step 3: For the leaves part, I used a normal artificial rose leaf and cut it to the somewhat the shape of a poppy leaf.


Then I glued it on to the back of my flower.



Step 4: Lastly, to add the pin to the flower so that it can be fastened on. I just used a normal safety pin and glued it between the leaf and the flower.



AND THERE YOU GO!

Here is your simple poppy brooch for the Remembrance Day.


Hope you enjoyed this simple DIY. Enjoy making your own :)

Love always,

JB

Comments