Chicken Green Thai Curry


I just love thai curry. I love how it is spicy, savoury, creamy and slightly sweet at the same time. Simply delicious. Among the thai curries, my favourite is the green thai curry. The two main ingredients for this is (a) the thai curry paste itself that you have to premake. To make the paste is another method which you can check out here; and (b) Coconut milk to nutralize the spiciness of the paste. So packed with flavour, I can never resist it :) The green thai curry is also quite fruity as far as my experience goes with all the thai restaurants I have been to. And surprisingly they actually go quite well together. One more reason to eat green thai curry :D

Okay the main point I will mention today about the thai green curry recipe is that to get the right amount of hotness and flavour in the curry you have to very careful with your curry paste to coconut milk ratio. Some people love spicy food more than others, some people cannot stand hot food at all. But that shouldn't stop you from enjoying such an exotic dish. Just add more paste if you like HOT or add less if you don't. As a matter of fact, I myself prefer mildly hot food although I've been brought up eating (extremely) hot food in India. Anyway, after several trails and errors over the last 2 years, I have finally achived the right ratio for my palete and am quite happy to share it with you.  Lol! Not that I'm slow, I don't cook it too often, if I crave thai food, I just go down to the best thai restaurant I have ever been to in UK right down the road :D

Anyway, here is the recipe for a mildly hot gree thai curry...

Ingredients:

1. 1 teaspoon of Green thai curry paste
2. 300ml Coconut milk
3. Green 4-season beans, cut to 2 inches long
4. 250g chicken breast diced
5. 6-8 small mushroons halved
6. Handful of grapes (optional)
7. 3 spring onions chopped
8. Dash of olive oil
9. Pinch of salt to taste

Method:

Step1:
In a pot, heat the oilve oil till hot, then add the spring onions and fry for a bit till slightly tender. Then add the chicken and fry till sealed on all sides. Should take about 3-4 minutes in high heat.

Step 2:
Add a teaspoon full of the thai curry paste that you can get in most grocery stores like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, and other such places.
Remember, they are EXTREMELY hot so use only a bit depending on how hot you like it. This one is a mild recipe but if you want hotter than use slightly more than a teaspoon of paste. I had to get a lot of practice to get the right ratio of paste to milk for my own preference.

Mix well and keep cooking till the chicken look slightly golden brown. Should take only about 4-5minutes.

Step 3:
Add the beans and mushroons and suatee for 5 more minutes. You can add a bit of salt too if you like. Generally the curry paste has enough salt in it but the coconut milk could water it down a lot depending on the paste and coconut milk ratio.

Step 4:
Now add the coconut milk and simmer in medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes keeping a lid on the pot. Generally I have eaten green curries at thai restaurants with diced eggplants and pineapples. You can add those in this step too. I only added a handful of grapes that work just fine.

Serve hot with egg fried rice :)

RELISH!!!




Comments