Weekend pleasures

I love my saturdays… Mostly because I have another resting day to look forward to but also because after a week's endeavours I can finally unwind… And what best way to do it but with a fantastic cup of coffee?? I love coffee, need it everyday to start my day. I generally drink the instant ones, I know I know filter coffees are great but I don't have a filter so there. Anyway, to make my weekend coffee I take a teaspoon full of granulated coffee, add a teaspoon of honey to it, a small packet of cream that you get in cafĂ©s and (just for weekends) a splish-splash of irish cream to make the day special… Mmmmmmmmmmm… Indulge!!!

Well, today I was also in a mood for a special treat, not cause I've been good this week but because after the long hectic week i felt I deserved it. So I had my favourite irish cream coffee with a lovely slice of home-made carrot cake!



Source: http://dishbydish.net/2013/01/18/carrot-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting/
(Sorry, I know it's lame but I couldn't wait to take pictures and ate up mine :p)


I like carrot cakes, I don't necessarily love them a lot but I do enjoy them once in a while. And I found an excellent recipe at All recipes UK.

For a large cake serving 12 here's what you'd need


Ingredients:

  •          250g self-raising flour
  •          2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  •          400g caster sugar
  •          350ml vegetable oil
  •          4 eggs
  •          350g grated carrots
  •          120g chopped walnuts


For frosting I used just fresh cream, whipped stiff with a bit of sugar and cinnamon, topped with walnuts. Many people prefer raisins/sultanas in their cake too but not me…


Procedure:




Step 1: Stir in all the dry ingredients together starting with flour, cinnamon and sugar. 

Step 2: Then add the oil and eggs, mix well with a beater until well blended, and then stir in the carrots and nuts. 

Step 3: Pour into a greased cake tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven preferably set at 180 degree C / Gas 4. A skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean when done. Cool the cake and then divide in the middle (you can also use two cake tins to make the sandwich) and layer with the frosting. And that's it! Enjoy with a nice cup of joe!

HAPPY WEEKEND!!! :)

Comments