Turkey in rice milk sauce

This is my very own recipe when I want to eat something in white sauce and cheesy yet not too rich in cream and fat… I usually don't mind drinking milk alternatives like rice milk since they are less in fat and way lighter than whole milk which, generally I love but, often leaves me feeling heavy and bloated. 

Serves: 2


I also like the natural sweetness of rice milk due to carbohydrate in rice already broken down to sugar during processing… It has its own special taste and flavour with almost the same nutritional good ness as fresh milk and without the problem of expiring within a week of opening of the carton, hence called life long milk since it can be kept for a very VERY long time. Also, it is great for cooking :)

Ingredients:
  1. Turkey breast - 400g
  2. 1 whole Leek - sliced
  3. Rice Milk - 500 ml
  4. Cheddar cheese - 1 small cup (50g)
  5. Olive oil - 1 tablespoon (optional)
  6. Salt - to taste
  7. Italian herb - 2 teaspoon
Here are the two ways I like to prepare the dish...
  Procedure 1:

First of all dice the turkey breasts and then drizzle them with some olive oil (if you want) and put them in an oven for till tender and fully roasted, in 200 degree Celsius. 

Meanwhile, pour the rice milk in the saucepan. Let simmer, now here is what I do two ways, either I put in the sliced leek in the simmering milk or I fry the leek first in a dash of olive oil and then pour in the milk. Either way, so long as you keep the fat limit under control, it's fine. I also add in some italian herbs as I simply love their flavour and a pinch of salt in to the sauce and let simmer in medium heat. 

Ideally I want to reduce the volume of the sauce and thicken it slightly by boiling it for a while on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Then lastly add some cheese and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly when done. Once the turkey is all tender and roasted, you can lay it down on top of rice or simply on the plate with some steamed vegetables and mash. Pour the sauce over the roast turkey and RELISH!!!

Procedure 2:

Alternatively, you can fry the turkey ever so slightly in the olive oil with the leek and cook the turkey with the leek in the rice milk till the sauce reduces while the turkey tenderises in the broth. This also helps the turkey absorb all the sweetness of the rice milk and flavour of leek and herbs. Then you finish it off with some cheese.

On one way the turkey is more firm, slightly crispy and roasted, with the sauce complementing the turkey, while the other gives a tender, flavour-rich, stewy taste. Either way, it's delicious…!

So, let me know how you find it... 

Till next time, keep an eye out for

JB’s Kitchen!

Comments