Stuffed peppers



So, since I was a toddler I grew up eating these delicious babies at every event and parties my parents took me to, be it at a social event, neighbours' parties or mom making them for parties. It was always a great excuse to get my hands on these fine thangs!!! The delectable sumptuous baked pepper skin and the savoury flavour soaked filling…mmmmm… I could eat 5 of them at a go and still have room for dessert! Yup, I am a glutton, always was and (you guessed it right) always will be XD…


The recipe is very simple. But it depends on the fillings you stuff the peppers with too… Like I have eaten ones with cheesy rice risotto fillings, tomato risotto and also baked mashed potato fillings with onions and seasonings… And I love them all! Haven't tried meat fillings but I can bet it would be absolutely gorgeous…

Anyway, the last time I ate these devils was… Oh hell! I can't even remember :O… It's been such a long time… So, I decided to make some of my own. By the way, this is the first time I made these so it was more like an experiment. But you'll be glad to know, it was a success!!! Check my recipe out and let me know what you think of it… :)

This recipe serves 2 of me :p

What I used for fillings:

1. Leek
2. Mushrooms
3. Basmati rice
4. Soya Sauce
5. Rice dream rice milk
6. Butter
7. Peas
8. Cheese (optional)
9. Olive oil
10. A pinch of spices

You will need 4-5 large colourful bell peppers as the basket for the fillings.

What I did:


Prepare the leek and mushrooms: first wash them and then chop the leeks and quarter the mushrooms. In a saucepan heat a dash of olive oil and then add the leek. Fry till it starts to soften, and then add the mushrooms.








 Keep frying the mushroom till it starts to golden and soften too. Then add a tablespoon of soya sauce to the veggies… Cook for 5 minutes. Here is the part where you can either add rice or meat.

(Of course, if adding rice with meat cook the meat before adding the rice, just like risotto.)



Now, time to add the rice!

Btw, you can either soak the rice first or add dry ones like I did.

Pour in the basmati rice, measured for 2-3 people. Cook the rice for a few minutes (2min) in the mushroom, leek and soya sauce concoction.






Now, add the rice milk till the rice and veggies are completely drowned in the milk, and the rice milk should come up about an inch above the rice and veggies mixture. Also add some peas if you like. Now, simmer the whole thing for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. You could also add some spices (as I did) just to give it extra special flavour. I used just a pinch of "garam masala" (indian curry spices).





Time to prepare the peppers. Did you know, peppers are called capsicum and not pepper in India and many other places? As a matter of fact I only knew it as capsicum till I was like 18!!


So, to prepare the peppers, just cut off a bit of their top part along with the stem. Keep them since you will need them to act as hats for your pepper baskets. Also, core the peppers (remove their seeds). Do it for at least four peppers… More the colours, prettier the dish ;)



The rice dish seems all done! Just before finishing, add two spoons of butter just for flavour and deliciousness. Once the rice dish is ready scoop out four spoons full of the fillings and stuff the peppers one by one, top with cheese of your choice. I used cheddar  with caramelised onions. Cover the peppers with their own tops. Place them all on a baking tray.


Bake in the pre-heated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 15 minutes. And 


Tadaaaaa!!!



 Bon Appètit!


So, wasn't that simple?

This really does bring back a lot of memories for me. It is cute, it is colourful, it is THE best party dish I can think of with an excellent presentation of its own that you don't even need to bother with garnishing. I am definitely going to make it for my upcoming parties ;)

I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as I do :) 


Till next time,


Lots of love from,

Jb's kitchen


Comments