Selfie Art

I had wanted to do this for a while now, inspired by an art I saw on imgur once, here is one of the pictures from the thread. Unfortunately I cannot find the source anymore as the page seems to have been deleted, but there was a whole thread of such bodacious skills.

That gave me the idea for a painted selfie for myself. I had some themes in mind, So, what I did was take the out line of some of my photos, either selfies or pictures taken by others.

For example, say this picture (this is not the original picture I used but just to give an idea of how I did it with very few tools):



I traced out the outlines of my face contour and features. Easy ways to do that are,

(a). By using trace papers, or
(b). By using softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Picasa, Picta, Gimp, etc. and ending up with only the dark contours of your face.

With Picasa this is what I ended up with:



I used Picasa mostly because I was being lazy and wanted to do it the easy way :p If you are a better artist than me, you can definitely very much draw your own face outline yourself. And frankly, I would do that too if I weren't so lazy :p

Now, make sure you make it slightly transparent. This you can do using photoshop softwares or in MS word. This way, when you add colour to the picture you don't see the outline of the old picture through your paint and you can alter a lot without it being obvious.


Also, removing the unwanted dark parts such as the hair outline clears out the background to paint, design and detail it however you like. So, your picture would turn:

From: THIS                        to                         THIS




Once ready, I printed it out on an A4 sheet (the size you choose is your own choice).

For the painting bit those of you good with softwares can of course use photoshops… I chose the old school - hand painting ;) For this, I used water paint, coloured pen and pencil colours (sorry I do not have the pictures of the stage where I was painting it with water colour). 

So, after painting the base and also adding my hands holding a lotus on it, this is the result so far.

Have a lotus

As you can see, I tilted my picture slightly, added my hands offering a lotus. I also coloured my eyes purple cause that has been my long time fascination.

Well, I recently ran it through another software called fotor where I did some more refining and added some details. It looks more like a comic book art now but I don't mind... Just beware of the creepy eyes!!!

 

Here is another cartoon that I made from a photo I took on my laptop cam just by hand and then added small details again using fotor:


Cherry blossom
I love flowers immensely, a house without flowers is like a life without colours. They add colour to my life :) And merging them with me makes me feel complete.

I hope you enjoyed them, I will try and put up a proper tutorial for them. 

Have fun making your own.

Love always…

Comments