Broken pot renovation


Do you like my pot? Well I personally love it… 

Well, it didn't always look so pretty… I made it :) My pot used to actually look more like
this:



I had just been given an office and I wanted to decorate my own space with something special. Something that I always wanted, something I could relate to, something close to my heart, something beautiful…. 

Orchids! 

I love orchids and I have loved them since my childhood. They grow in abundance from where I come, a speciality of my state. So, for me orchid reminds me of home. Hence, one fine rainy morning I went to Sainsbury's and, with lots of affection, bought myself this lovely pot of purple ground orchid. I was the prettiest thing I had seen… I was quite happy with my purchase and was walking back home in the rain. Almost made it to the front door step, rummaging through my bag to take out my key when suddenly…

"CRASH!!!"

Alas! my lovely pot of orchid hit the foot step and broke to pieces :(

Heart broken, I put the pieces in the bag and went into the house. I was pretty upset for a while. I wanted to fix it. I took out my super glue, put the pieces back but it wasn't the same. It was cracked all over and pretty nasty to look at. 

Then suddenly, a thought hit me. I went to my shelf and started looking for something… 
"Aha!" I exclaimed as I dug out my packet of white blu tack. 


What was I going to do with it? Seal and cover the cracks of course. But what I had in mind was a bit more than just sealing the cracks up. I was thinking of more of a sculpture-like finish. I rolled out a bit of the blu tack and made tiny ropes out of it, then stuck them over the cracks. I continued till all the cracks were covered. Then I coated it with the transparent superglue so that it does not detach in time (as we all know blu tacks tend to loose there adhesiveness with time) and let it dry.

Now, I wanted to customise the pot. About 700 yards from my house there was a local beads shop. I go there often to look at all the lovely beads I can buy to make something pretty. So, I went there to see if I would find anything to decorate my pot with. Sure enough there were arrays of lovely clay flowers that I found fit to use. Here are the pictures of the flower beads I bought:



I bought three of the big roses, two packets of small rose buds (5 beads in each packet) and two of the green heart shaped beads. I also bought two metal butterfly charms. 

Now, time to have fun…

I stuck the beads/flowers wherever I thought the cracks were most prominent, spacing them appropriately as to prevent over crowding, also used  the green hearts and the metal butterflies. Then secured them all using the super glue. Once set, this is what it looked like:




Now the plant has long died due to infection, but the pot still looks pretty as a picture. And once you feel the pot can be disposed off, you can always reuse the beads like I will :)

I hope you liked this DIY. It is fun and incredibly easy to make. Have fun re-modelling any of your old china. Also leave comments on how you like it :)

Till next time…


Adios!


Comments